Man showed severed head to bus passengers

A bus passenger calmly stabbed another man dozens of times and decapitated him, pausing briefly to display the head to horrified passengers, witnesses in Canada said.

Passengers fled the bus in panic, and police said later their quick evacuation may have prevented the killer from turning on others.

A 40-year-old man, who was not identified, was arrested for the murder on the bus, which was travelling from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, police said.

Police apprehended the man when he broke a window and tried to escape from the bus by jumping out, a spokesman said.

Authorities declined to name the victim and provided little details about the stabbing.

Passengers said the attacker did not seem to know the victim, who appeared to be about 19 years old, and that he wore sunglasses throughout the attack although it was the middle of the night.

Passenger Garnet Caton said the victim was sleeping with headphones on before he was stabbed 40 or 50 times by the man sitting next to him.

“We heard this bloodcurdling scream and turned around, and the guy was standing up, stabbing this guy repeatedly, like 40 or 50 times,” Mr Caton said.

He said the bus stopped and the passengers scrambled to disembark while the suspect allegedly began methodically carving up the man’s body.

The attacker severed the man’s head with a large hunting knife and held the head up by the door for others to see.

“When he was attacking him, he was calm… like he was at the beach,” Mr Caton said. “There was no rage or, or anything. He was just like a robot stabbing the guy.”

He added that the attacker eventually tried to get off the bus, but that he, the driver and a passing trucker who had stopped to help, threw their weight against the door to prevent the man from leaving.

When the attacker appeared to be attempting to start up the bus and drive away, the bus driver went to the rear of the bus and disabled it, Mr Caton said.

Fellow passenger Cody Olmstead said the man “dropped the head and went back and started cutting the body back up.”

Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said 37 passengers and one driver were on the bus.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s